Parkinson’s disease, known as Kampa vata in Ayurveda, is a neurological disorder which usually seen after middle age. This condition is characterized by tremor, pill-rolling movements of fingers, rigidity (cogwheel rigidity), mask face, festinating gait etc.
According to Ayurveda, kampavata is caused due to aggravated vata which dries up the nervous tissue. The primary aim of Ayurveda is to reduce the Vata dosha and thus preventing the progression of the disease. Ayurvedic treatments mainly indicated in this condition are:-
All the toxins accumulated in the body is removed from the body. Vaana, Virechana, Vasti, Nasyam, and aktamokshanam are the five detoxifying procedures. The physician will decide the procedures needed for the patient according to his prakruthi and symptoms exhibited by him.
Prior to this snehapanam with prescribed medicated ghee,followed by swedanam is done. Among these vasti is considered as the main treatment for vata dosha.
2. Abhyangam/oil massage
External application of oil all over the body.
3. Shirodara / Thailadara
Pouring of medicated oil over the forehead in a rhythmic manner.
Retention of medicated over the head using a leather cap.
Application of herbal paste over the head.
6. Nasyam /nasal medication – helps to clean the head gives nourishment to the brain tissues.
• Along with these herbal medications which contain ashwagandha, kapikachu etc drugs help to reduce the symptoms.
• Yoga helps to correct postural imbalances benefits and reduce stress and anxiety.
• Complete detoxification of the body.
• Shows down the progression of the disease.
• Increases the muscle strength and gives stability to walk.
• Clears the speech.
• Improves memory and sleep.
• Improves digestion.
• Strengthens the nervous system.